An activity that helps to build up community amongst people in any online course. It motivates learners to search for information and meet other learners in the course.
- Each learner sends to a facilitator email with the information that other participants are unlikely to know (e.g. MA degree in philosophy, four children, parachuting aficionado, etc.).
- The facilitator emails each learner with some piece of information concerning one of the participants, he/she is to locate.
- The learners now can ask questions on the discussion board helping them to find the person (they cannot, however, ask straightforward questions e.g. did anyone studied philosophy?). A learner may ask for clues such as: does anyone know Kant's ideas?
- The facilitator monitors the whole discussion.
- When the learners are ready to give their answers, the facilitator asks them to post the names on the discussion board.
- Each learner reviews the postings checking whether other participants recognised him or her.
- online asynchronous discussion board
- access to emails