The Internet is an enormous collection of answers. The challenge is to find them. Scavenger hunts help students discover how diverse this information resource truly is. Through scavenger hunts students also gain experience harnessing the Internet and strengthening Internet browsing skills. Developing a scavenger hunt is one method teachers can use to teach academic concepts and teach navigation skills to students.
- The teacher develops a series of questions and gives the student a link to the URL that will answer the question.
- The teacher may take the following steps:
- Identify an idea/concept that he/she would like to reinforce or introduce.
- Search for web sites that reinforce/introduce the concept.
- Develop questions that may be answered at the site.
- Save it to a web site, put it on the computer, or give students a paper handout.
- The students use the information found at the web sites.