This simple activity helps to define a problem (identify its roots, reasons) and propose a solution. It is particularly useful when working with groups.
The group should work for at least 2 hours, so they can complete all 5 steps.
Define the purpose clearly. What do I want to achieve? What will be the benefits? Is it possible to have multiple solutions?
Analyze the actual situation objectively. What are the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages?
State the problem. What hinders reaching the goal?
Identify the symptoms and root causes. What is the source of the problem and what are its symptoms?
Provide a solution.
Big and small sheets of paper, markers (different colors), pens.
- Goal: I want to be healthy.
- Situation: I work 14 hours a day, Monday through Saturday. I exercise 3 hours a week. I eat healthy foods.
- Problem: I get colds very often.
- Root cause: Fatigue lowers the effectiveness of my immune system.
- Symptoms: Headache and low productivity.
One may also use MindManager or FreeMind as an alternative for resources? -- Margit Scholl